As you all know, the Merchants and Drovers Tavern Museum site has been closed to the public since mid-March – but the good news is, we are ready to re-open! There will, however, be a staged re-opening process, and new protocols that will have to be observed for the time being.
The board and staff are pleased to announce that the building is currently open for tours by appointment only in the month of August. The weather is still hot and the building is not climate-controlled, but if you wish to visit in August, please call or email us, and we’ll set up a time for your visit.
As of September 1, the museum will re-open for regular walk-in hours, as follows: Thursdays from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., and the first and third Saturdays and second and fourth Sundays of every month, from 12:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. As al-ways, some holiday exclusions may apply, so we still recommend calling or checking the website first.
For all visits, the following protocols will apply:
1) Visitors over the age of two years will be required to wear face masks that cover their nose and mouth while in the building.
2) Group size will be limited to 25% of capacity, which means no more than 15 people may be in the main tavern building at one time.
3) In the past, we have allowed some handling of certain items (including a game in the permanent exhibit), but for the time being, we will be enforcing a “please don’t touch” policy for all items on display.
4) We ask that anyone who has tested positive for COVID-19 in the last 14 days, or who has been in contact with someone who has tested positive for COVID in the last 14 days, or who is experiencing any symptoms of respiratory infection or fever, to please refrain from visiting the museum.
5) Only the main Merchants and Drovers Tavern building will be opened to visitors at this time; the smaller Terrill Tavern building will remain closed to the public.
Additionally, the museum staff will be cleaning and disinfecting frequently-touched areas and items after each group of visitors, and hand sanitizer will be available for your use.
The above protocols are based on requirements and/or recommendations from both government officials and our colleagues in the museum field, and intended to ensure the safety of both visitors and staff. We appreciate your compliance, and look forward to welcoming you back safely!